Gossip- 16 January 2017 < Back to gossip
Broccoli, spelt and orange salad
A bit of citrus in a salad perks it up beautifully and gives it a lovely tangy flavour. I use a pack of ready-cooked spelt for speed, but you can, of course, cook your own if you prefer or use any other smart carbs you like, such as cooked quinoa, pearl barley, brown rice or barley couscous. So yummy!!
- 354 calories per serving
- 300g ready-cooked spelt
- 300g tenderstem or purple
- sprouting broccoli
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, to garnish
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 oranges
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- salt and black pepper
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cooking: 10 minutes
1. Heat up the spelt according to the packet instructions and tip it into a serving bowl.
2. Put the broccoli in a steamer or a colander over a pan of boiling water and steam for 2 minutes, then set it aside. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the broccoli and cook it gently for 2–3 minutes. Add the chilli and garlic and fry for another minute.
3. To make the dressing, whisk together the tahini, sesame oil, juice of half an orange and the rice vinegar in a small jug and season with salt and black pepper. Peel and segment the remaining oranges, discarding the pith.
4. Mix the sautéed broccoli with the cooked spelt and add the orange segments. Pour over the dressing, scatter with sesame seeds and serve.
Sugar Free in a Hurry is a great way to eat less sugar and feel fantastic even if you're short on time! Delicious and healthy family recipes that help you balance blood sugar, lose weight and feel amazing!! Available now on Amazon, Waterstones and WHSmith.