Gossip- 19 December 2016 < Back to gossip
Cod and pesto parcels
My perfect food when I’m in a hurry! These are so quick to make and everyone loves them – it’s a really easy way of cooking and serving fish. Fresh pesto from the deli counter is fine or you can make your own; it’s easy – have a look at my recipe below. You can use a mixture of the green veg I’ve suggested or just a couple of kinds, but I do find I have to cook the green beans briefly first to make sure they are tender enough. The others all cook beautifully in the parcels.
- 265 calories per serving
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g mix of green beans, mangetout, tenderstem broccoli or sugar snap peas
- 4 x 150–175g cod fillets, skinned
- 4 tbsp fresh pesto
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- salt and black pepper
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cooking: 20 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Cut out 4 x 40cm squares of baking paper and the same of foil. Lay the paper squares on top of the foil squares and brush them lightly with a little olive oil.
2. Blanch the green beans in a saucepan of boiling, salted water for 2 minutes. Drain them and rinse in cold water to stop them cooking, then mix them with the other vegetables.
3. Divide the vegetables between the 4 squares, add a cod fillet to each and season well. Add a tablespoon of pesto on top of each fillet, then drizzle with a little olive oil. Scatter the cherry tomatoes around the vegetables and add 2 wedges of lemon to each parcel. Scrunch up the paper and foil, making sure you leave a little space around the fish.
4. Place the parcels on a baking tray and bake them for 15–20 minutes or until the fish is just cooked through and the vegetables are tender. Serve the parcels at the table so everyone can enjoy opening their own. Good with some steamed brown rice.
A little tip...
I always used to buy pesto but I’ve discovered how easy it is to make. Just put a small clove of garlic, 2 tablespoons of toasted pine nuts and a large handful of fresh basil leaves in a blender with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper and blend until smooth. Wow!
Sugar Free in a Hurry is a great way to eat less sugar and feel fantastic even if you're short on time! Delicious and healthy family recipes that help you balance blood sugar, lose weight and feel amazing!! Available now on Amazon, Waterstones and WHSmith.